Many people wonder if fire science is a lucrative career because they seldom realize that fire science graduates have many career opportunities available to them other than just becoming firefighters. While those who study this field may pursue jobs as firefighters, many choose to work in law enforcement, emergency medical services, teaching and even in administrative positions. With so many career possibilities, it’s easy to see that fire science can be a very lucrative career.
What is Fire Science?
Fire science is a field that involves trained professionals who work with fire with its main areas being fire prevention, fire protection and fire safety. It also involves fire investigation, fire behavior, fire management and the safe use of hazardous materials. While we typically think of firefighters when we hear the term fire science, these professionals do more than just fight fires.
They also investigate fires, including the effects and causes of fires as well as how they could have been prevented. Firefighters participate in rescue operations and the implementation of fire regulations. It’s also a field that encompasses many other areas.
Fire science encompasses a large area and offers a variety of potential careers.
• Emergency Medical Services – Emergency medical services include emergency medical technicians (EMTs, paramedics and firefighters.
• Law Enforcement – Many begin their careers working for fire departments but then advance their training and begin careers as police officers or detectives.
• Fire Chief – Once a firefighter obtains some work experience, the individual may be promoted to fire chief, a position that involves overseeing an entire fire department.
• Fire Inspector – Fire inspectors have the task of inspecting fire scenes to determine the cause of the fire.
• Forensic Scientist – Forensic science professionals gather evidence at the scene of a fire and often act as expert witnesses in court cases.
The potential wages for professionals who choose fire science can vary by many factors, including employer, degree level, training, geographic location, and the actual job. While wages may not be as high for entry-level positions, many of the jobs have the potential to be very lucrative, particularly once the individual obtains some work experience. Here are some averages wages for fire science professionals according to a 2020 report by Salary.com.
• Firefighter – $46,952
• Emergency Medical Technician – $36,470
• Paramedic – $43,202
• Police Officer – $55,300
• Fire Inspector – $63,969
• Fire Investigator – $61,660
• Forensic Science Technicians – $55,431
• Engineer – $66,097
• Fire Captain – $72,930
Benefits of Working in This Field
One of the main reasons why people choose this field is because it offers many jobs that involve serving the community and the people in the community. However, there are other benefits to choosing fire science as a career.
• Offers jobs in fields that are fast-growing
• Careers offer the potential to earn very high wages
• Careers offer excellent job security
• Many of the jobs can lead to higher-level jobs in this field
• It offers jobs that are highly respected in the community
• It offers jobs that are rewarding and gratifying
Related Resource: 25 Best Affordable Fire Science Degree Programs
Candidates interested in fire science careers can choose from several degree levels, including associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees according to LearningPath.org. Within each degree, many types of jobs can be obtained. Despite this being a lucrative career, many choose fire science because it provides them with the opportunity to work in an area where they can help others and their communities.
Other Rankings of Interest:
40 Best Affordable One-Year Accelerated Master’s Degree Programs
50 Most Affordable Colleges with the Best Return
25 Best Affordable Online Mathematics/ Statistics Education Degree Programs (Master’s)
25 Most Affordable Master’s of Statistics Degrees
20 Best Affordable Online Colleges for Computer Networking Degree
10 Most Affordable Law Schools in the United States
15 Best Affordable Animation Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
40 Best Affordable Pre-Med Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)
15 Best Affordable Film Studies Degree Programs (Bachelor’s)